By not judging someone, you open doors. You let people know that they are cared about. Just because we do not believe abortion should be a choice, if a woman has had an abortion we are not to judge her. Even if this woman seems completely comfortable with this choice of abortion, we have no idea what she went through to make that choice. Abortion to most pro-life people is not even an option. To people who don't have someone to turn to and no family to support them or even friends to tell them it will be okay, it can be a very scary and vulnerable experience for a woman. By judging her, that reinforces the woman's fears that no one is there for her. I don't like that message and no one should ever feel alone especially if they are forming another life inside of them.
We as members of the pro-life community need to stand together and break the stigmas around ourselves. Women need to know they are cared for. No matter what. No matter if they are going to have an abortion, had an abortion, or decide to be a parent. Women need to feel empowered at any and every stage of life. Love, accept, and show compassion.
So, what would you say to a friend who is newly pregnant and has no idea what to do?
- I care about you, your baby, and your decision.
- You are not alone.
- Thank you for confiding in me.
- I want to help you.
- Have you thought about your options?
- I will not judge you for whatever choice you make. (Please do not add something like, "That's God's job." Phrases like this can make women feel pressured and make some not feel safe trusting you.)
- Even though I am pro-life, my job isn't to tell you what to do. As a human, my job is to show compassion to your situation and make sure you know you have someone you can trust.